Saturday, February 11, 2006

Morning Star

What a day it has been, other than the time in between breakfast and dinner.

On my way out, I spotted this bright bright bright bright star in the sky. Except it was not a star, it was the planet Venus!!! Oh was it bright, looked like a plane with its landing lights on pointing straight at you except it aint moving. It is so bright, it shines its own light on moonless nights, I've been told. The day had dawned cold, chilly and clear, -20 again, this afternoon warmed up to -2 here, it was +12 in Calgary, sheesh. So clear in fact I'd swear I could see space. That made Venus shine even more brightly.

Fast forward

The night came, it was still very very clear and the Moon! It was so bright, I think street lamps in towns are not needed. You could clearly see its inperfections, the darker areas, light areas, the sea of tranquility. If it wasnt so cold, I could just sit outside and bask in its light.

I've always been fascinated by outer space. Hence my love hate relationship with science fiction. I just finished watching the movie Serenity on DVD last nite. Love space because its so fascinating what is possible out there. Watching the Mars rovers roam all over. Hate it because I'm down here.

Yes I'm a geek.

Space, the last frontier. I need to get my telescope. St Valentine, you hear me?

Comments:
I'm a fan of star trek the next generation. best of all the series, even compared to the original with captain kirk.

say, what's the difference between a geek and a nerd? I once called a friend a geek. he said no, he's a nerd. I said, same thing. he said no, different. so errr... is there a distinction? LOL!
 
How did you know the bright, bright star was Venus? Could it be the satellite?

I wished I could enjoy the great expanse of space. In Singapore, as you know, skies are never that clear to see beyond.

Gee, didn't the Greeks say Venus was the goddess of love? Hmmm...
 
may
According to the movies and at www.answers.com a geek and a nerd are similar:
a. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
b. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

However key differentiating traits are:

Geeks likes novelty and gadgets such as computer

Nerds are just plain square

Hehe, that makes me a nerd...I ain't no square, oval maybe, but no square...I think
 
Oops GEEK i mean....paiseh
 
Mother S being the GEEK i am, i naturally did some research, looked up tons of web pages and came to the conclusion. But it aint no satellite cos its not moving :P

You know something? the place I've seen the most ever stars ever, like in the sci fi movies where spae is just dotted with the things was atop Mt

jomel I'm dreaming of a nice summer, where I can sit on a park bench and watch the seagulls go by....*POP* ok back at work ...
 
OOppss M S Mt Kinabalu I was going to say, even more than what I see here
 
Is this the Geek Meeting I've heard about? I've brought some tiramisu..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?