Friday, February 24, 2006

Viva Forever

Several days ago, my boss come to me and asked if I knew someone. He looked very sad and something wasn't right. Then later I found out a friend of his and someone who is popular in our very small community had died the night before from a heart attack. Later I had the chance to ask more and found out the guy was only 42. Man was he young. That struck an old raw nerve, something I had buried.

For the last year or so, it's been frustrating having to adapt to a new place. Having to restart your career all over again. Working in place full of 20 year olds and wishing you were 20 also. The spirit is willing and the flesh just ain't there anymore. So mid life crisis in hand, the search for the holy grail began, what exactly I still don't know and probably will never know. But this news gave me the impetus I needed, for it reminded me of how the fragility of life can be so precious.

2 years ago when I was still working in the gym, I had just finished my workout, had chatted to a co-worker, someone I was beginning to get along with well. I then went to the locker room to drop off my gear and went back out to get a drink. As I approached the drinks counter, I saw a group of people crowding around. Someone was lying on the floor. It was the co-worker I had just chatted with minutes earlier.

I made my way to the front of the group to see what had happened and to my surprise and horror it was the guy I just chatted with moments ago. There was already some people attending to him including a doctor who was a gym member. It slowly dawned on us and finalised when the doctor said its most likely to be heart attack.The movies don't really show anything.

I will never forget the agony on his face, his pain, he couldn't talk, he couldn't lie still and kept reaching for something, someone. We did our best to make him comfortable, tough when he was struggling. We waited for over 20mins before an paramedic and ambulance crew arrived, it was an eternity. Just as the crew got here, he stopped breathing and was motionless. It was all so surreal, seeing the crew apply CPR and try to rescue him. Even a portable defibrillator didn't help.

The image of him being wheeled out of the gym on a strether, a paramedic straddling him applying chest compression is etched in my mind forever. We later got news that although they managed to revive him in the hospital, he later died. He was 50 then. Most of the staff were pretty glum for awhile after that. Being the macho men we were (I was a Trainer then), outwardly we just looked normal and moved on. Inwardly, I was in a turmoil. The suddenness of the demonstration of mortality had struck a nerve.

Now I realise that day was the turning point in how I saw life, although I probably didn't know it then. Before, when I was younger, I was reckless, carefree and immortal. I'm still carefree, the recklessness has been toned down and I'm now very mortal. I am reminded of that mortality every single day I look in th mirror and seeing the noticeably thinning balding hair, the additional wrinkles, energy levels that are not what it used to be, the expanding waistline.

But I'm just proclaiming myself to be a victim of circumstances. I figure I still have 20 good years left in me, if my heart doesn't give out first. I've the benefit of not only school but also 40 years of hindsight, I hope can remember it all.

Answers will never be found. Just get going and move on, celebrate the future and respect the past.

And go for a physical every year.

Comments:
melancholy is everywhere today.. :-\.. argghhhhh..... *sigh* I think I've been hiding behind a smiley face too much. I will go back to bed, except I'm at work.
 
albie! eh you neva listen to my new song meh? no wonder you more melancholic than I. ok I'm goin to sleep now :P
 
i dont know what is more fearful, death or the fear of death. death could be an enlightenment, an escape, beginning of another journey... i will take the big "D" as it comes...whatever, whenever. It is always sad to hear of a death, esp among your peers. maybe, thats the reason i take my birthday "seriously". it is a benchmark that you have "survived" another 12 months.
 
Good grief no wonder I don't celebrate my Ngow Yat anymore, I never thought of it like that. Another thing to cheer for! 7 more months to go!!!!!!
 
sorry to hear about your late co-worker.

heart attacks are sometimes heredity, also caused by many other factors leading to an attack. if you don't have a family history of attacks and have a pretty good health record all this while, your heart's in good hands. :)
 
Hi may, I not worried about heredity, I worried about all that sausages and bacon! :D
 
Sorry to hear about your co-worker.

I remembered I once attended a church class and the big, tall & toned visiting pastor came and gave talk about the rewards in Heaven. I asked, "if Heaven is such a great place, why are CHristians so reluctant to die...?" Without hesistation, the pastor replied, "We're not afraid of death, just the process of death...."

How true. Like you said, just move on, celebrate the future and respect the past. Apart from an optimistic outlook, I'm afraid things are not in our hands. Worry also no use!

Take it easy! :-)
 
omg, your new song gave me heart burn!!
 
Cheers to life! Death is inevitable but what you make of life is important. I admire your guts to move out and do what you truly want to do. But God bless you still, as you search for the HG. Could be up somewhere in the mountains or somewhere even nearer.
 
Thanks guys.

Helen, haha yeah true if things are not in our hands, but then still up to us to minimise possibilities yah? :D

Jomel, If I'm lucky I'll go in my sleep, more likely not! *sees myself locked in mortal combat with a teddy .. oops...grizzly bear*

albie, *quickly gives some alka-seltza, applies tiger balm to chest, rubs vigorously*

Mother S, Countries and King Arthur and the wizard Merlin searched for the grail and still haven't found it yet unless you follow the Da Vinci Code but thats fiction. Actually ah I know where it is, I just afraid to open the damn thing :P
 
*knock knock*

yoohoo fantasyflier :)

actually, i've been stalking u also but just didn't drop any words :) pardon me for that, yeah?

but today, this post strikes a chord...like you, i hv also always been reminded of our mortality and how fragile life is each time someone i know kicked the bucket, especially if that someone has just lived a few decades of his/her life...

well, life is short...are u living life to the fullest? :)

ps: i hv a fren staying in missisauga (correct spelling ar??)

pps: -18 degrees eh? brrrrrrr...
 
It's weekend!!! come on... cheer up... :)
 
Eeeks its the Angel! :P
Welcome! Ah yeah real fragile, especially when they kick the bucket right in front of you. I'm already here in the Canadian Rockies! Missisauga is in eastern Canada, Nearer to Toronto, I'm on the western end, nearer to Calgary :o)

Selba -> :))) big smile

Cyn, we can all bounce back eh?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?