Sunday, February 12, 2006

Working Sunday

Spent just about the whole day at the office today. Still clearing work. But I got my fix in going home :P

Image hosting by Photobucket
Fairview at late afternoon sun. Nice shadows on the mountain walls.

The day looked just so nice today. As I didn't have my car with me, instead of taking the cab back, I decided to walk back up home. I'd never walked the road before, always took the creek trail, but good call, on the way up saw some parts of the trail was heavy with snow, not a good idea without my gaiters. My place is about 5km away up on the hill 700 feet up. Climb took me about 50mins. But as usual, a nice looking day is not the same as a nice day. Although it was sunny, it was chilly, felt like abt -8 or so, probably colder, the forecast had been for a warm day, so I had dressed light.

Big problem trying to regulate temperature like this, the all round jacket I had on was too warm for the climb yet the weather was too cold to take it off, I never wear long johns, all I had was a teeshirt and jeans plus the jacket and good shoes. The part that always gets the coldest are my hands. I'm still searching for that very very elusive glove warm enough for me, I must have about 10 pair of gloves now.

In the end I just had the jacket completely unzipped. Nearing the end of the trek, with about 800m to go, I could feel my ears beginning to go numb, didn't have my toque, which can cover the ears, with me today. Hands were also beginning to feel cold, had picked a lighter insulated glove today, 40gms of Thinsulate and fleece still not enough, need 80gms!. So picked up the pace somewhat (yeah like one snail faster), in front of me, this 20year old appeared from the 1A highway cross country trail and took off like a jackrabbit (i knew who it was) dang if I was only 20 years younger coulda overtaken him but alas could only watch him disappear into the distance. Maybe he was colder than i was, hence the hustle :P (anyone remember The Hustle by Van McCoy?? a great Valentine's Day piece, don't miss the boat baby)

Passing the cross country trail is always interesting. They run dog sled rides there and seeing the pooches hang around is always fun.

And that was the highlight of my sunday, all of 1 hour, how time flies eh?

Comments:
Where is your house again? At the top of that peak in the photo?! Man, you Jeremiah Jones or something? I could picture you wearing a racoon hat, shotgun in hand, tennis shoes, chewing on some betel, and rabbit furs dangling off your coat, shayshaying to The Hustle...
 
beautiful, beautiful photo. I hate puffy jackets too, but I have to remember that down feathers are our warm friends... heheh. better than fleece.
 
it must be really cool living next to a snow capped mountain range.

where is this range btw?
 
A very pleasant, peaceful/exciting Valentine's Day for you, my friend..
 
I really like the idea that you can just trek anytime you want. Living in the mountains is just so cool (cold) for me. I wish, I wish, I wish...

I wish I could be there to absorb the nature.
 
heh you are all welcome to come visit and have a holiday! I used to have a racoon hat...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?