Monday, March 20, 2006

A Flicker of Light

Ok time for some serious stuff. I've been mulling this for a while now. And it got kicked back into gear by Ah May sometime ago. When she asked why not ah?

My problem is this.

I suck at administrative jobs. I can do a really good job if I want to, but the monotony gets to you after awhile and then like a bag of potatos I feel myself sinking deeper and deeper and deeper into that office chair. Soon you won't recognise me or the chair, we've become one.
In other words I'm bored. I need something that is part administrative (so I can continue blogging at work [egads did I say that? must be my other dimension twin] ) and part moving around, so I don't fall asleep.

Then the other day at the supermarket I saw this magazine, Muscle & Fitness. I haven't bought an issue for a loooooonnnnggg time, I usually dont give more than a passing glance these days (hey mags here are heckuva lot cheaper than SG! yaaayy but I got to quit my habit of loading up on mags). Whats new? Until I saw this cover with Vince McMahon. This chap is 60 years old. You may recognise him on WWE wrestling, the guy who owns it and acts like he's king (well he is) and he looked damn good. Curious, so I bought it. So it started a chain reaction. So it made me remember what I like and don't like. It made me realise what the heck, lets go for it anyway. (and damn, its such hard work to keep a physique like this at 60)

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sooooo.....

I'm gonna be making a move to Calgary after I get back from my trip in May.

Lord know what I'm gonna do there, but unless its the last resort, it ain't admin.
So it will frought with fear, the unexpected, the unknown.
Will have to find a new home (probably rent a room, hopefully got Friends kinda news, not the roommate from hell kinda news), new work (now what can I do?), new friends (errr anyone wanna move here?), new routines (dang back to city traffic), new warehouse (gotta move my things there), new everything.

Won't die from a lack of work, cos I hear even garbage disposal pays heck of a lot more than what I get now. Only wan to do or not. Oh the pitfalls of working in a touristy place, you are subject to the whims of seasons and cheap labour in the form of student workers.

Aint young anymore, with the clock ticking, haven't got the luxury of hanging out here for a few more years.

Hmmmm or maybe Vancouver.....

Comments:
Anytime, anywhere, just pack and go.Ah! the freedom of being single!
 
Let me train you SA, sure can get wan! LOL

Aiyoh, Bkworm, now the spirit is willing the flesh says leave me alone, old liao not so easy
 
Hi, wondering if you're going to start your exercise workout (as recommended by the mag) so you can look at the cover-man when u reach 60??? :)
 
Moving away to a new life is such a trauma... I am so chicken in that respect! I've turned down headhunters because I like my comfort zone too much :-(... but one day.. one day, the day of reckoning will arrive. And I am still so unprepared.
 
and as you've imparted your wisdom to me some posts ago, do whatever it is that gives you that ooomph! yea, I know what a bummer it is to uproot and leave, I'm still having problems with my shovel (tiny one digging away the earth around me, but I'm getting there).

all the best, flyboy. you'll do good anywhere you go if you have the faith and confidence :)
 
Yalor, 40 where got old?? Ah cheh here is WAY past 40 and still going strong! *thinking positive*
 
No matter what is your decision, I'm sure us fans will support you. I'm quite new to your blog and there are so many things I do not know. Maybe u have your reasons for going to where u are now in the first place....
Well, hopefully I'll get to meet you when you come back...

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
 
tsk! tsk! 40 and you are old?
Like that i vintage already oh. I still look forward to the day I'm going to bungee jump in NZ. Life begins at 40....and when you are over the hill, you pick up speed!
 
just sharing lah...
when i was 20, left ipoh to study in SG
30 left construction (sunset industry) to do an mba and get into marketing
40 left a comfy marketing job to do my own thing
50??

it seems every 10 years i will reach a cross road of decision. i dont wish this on anyone as it is hell of lot of pressure and nothing that i enjoy doing too often.

whatever you decision, plan for it and just gotta move on....

good luck flyboy buddy!!

btw, which Ipoh sec school were you from?
 
dreamy, started liao, I just hope I'm gonna be in that shape by 60!

albie,come join me and try try :P

may, its all because of you! if you hadn't posted that post and I backside itchy neva reply, this won't be happening now!! *grrr* now see what happen to the seed you planted? *hmmpf* LOL good way to get me off my ass eh :P

jomel, vancouver's happening! but ah, its one thing to go as a tourist and another to live there, the GST/PST is 15% (calgary 7%) and it rains all the time! rain or snow? sea or prairie? ex or cheaper (its still ex) housing? vancouver or calgary? decisions decisions! *drumming fingers on table...dozes off.....*

bkworm, I'm right now living at 6000feet in altitude, air is thinner, you feel your age with literally every step you take, *huff puff...need oxygen...*

helen, moving here is scary cos I'm a singapore boy where moving is from like Subang to PJ so very pampered. Even coming here had my job and accom already set up thru the hotel, so this will be interesting! I get to do a real life Friends episode LOL

cocka, going fast no problem, its the brakes I worried about, gannnnggwaaaayyyy...

seefei, wah your life sounds like mine except for the school bit I din go to school in ipoh lah, but every school hols I would spending time in bidor/kl, I born and bred in sg even tho my father is malaysian (still is) my mom is singaporean
 
Seems like you have purposed in your mind & heart where and when to go. Then, do go. Even to Calgary, as you've explained the reasons so well to May.

We'll be there 'every night' with you. Just remember to get your computer lines fixed first.
:-)
 
wahhaaa Mother S, of course, choose between a roof and computer line, the line comes first! LOL
 
Friends episode eh? lol Too wholesome lar.. call me when it gets to be like The Young and Restless! LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?