Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Where are the singers? And sleepless in LL

Image hosting by PhotobucketBrowsing the village bookstore today, after work, I came across a CD featuring the Carpenters (bought it). They were among the first pop groups I fell in love with and Karen Carpenter's voice! My oh my, if you could fall in love with a voice I would. I don't think there's anyone out there with a rich a voice as hers (If there is, tell me, quick! I already have Diana Krall and Julia Fordham, I can't stand Mariah Carey and Celine Dion has disappeared, Cheryl Crow is close but not the same voice control) What happened to all the true blue singers? Those that you can actually hear what they are singing, hope they're not a dying breed. Probably in Las Vegas headlining. I used to follow the American Top 40 with Kasey Kasem every saturday night without fail on Rediffusion (Is this still on?). That set was in the kitchen as my grandma used to listen to all the Lei Tai Sor cantonese serials on it, but I could still hang out there without a comfy chair and listen. Then I knew which was hot or not. Couple of weeks ago, I went to HMV, was browsing around the pop section and I didn't have a clue who was who.... It doesn't help of course that I'm more into Jazz these days. Listening to the radios, I also don't hear any songs by the newer singers or bands that catches my attention. I don't really dig today's bands, can't hear what they are trying to say, then again in the old days Metallica and Iron Maiden was about the same. Thats why they call it rock I suppose, don't understand just rock along.... (in other words, old liao), just listen to Karen Carpenter sing this and Richard Carpenter's arrangement, who uses a orchestral backup these days?... a beautiful song.

I Need To Be In Love
- The Carpenters


The hardest thing I’ve ever done is keep believing
There’s someone in this crazy world for me
The way that people come and go
Thru temporary lives
My chance could come and I might never know

I used to say no promises,
Let’s keep it simple
But freedom only helps you say
Good-bye
It took a while for me to learn
That nothin’ comes for free
The price I’ve paid is high enough for me

I know I need to be in love
I know I’ve wasted too much time
I know I ask perfection of
A quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that’s what I’ll find

So here I am with pockets full
Of good intentions
But none of them will comfort me tonight
I’m wide awake at four a.m.
Without a friend in sight
Hanging on a hope but I’m alright


***
Having seen up close (too close) how fragile life is, I am unable to shake off this nagging thought
What legacy do I want to leave behind? If any?
***
Added at 2am:

Image hosting by PhotobucketGood grief, a couple of hours after posting this song with a line about being awake at 4am, here I am, can't sleep and still awake at 2am (later go work sure die).

And its all because of this little bugger (grrrr but shiok). One can in the afternoon is enough to keep me up (plus the coffee in the morning, its loaded with caffeine for those who are wondering. So instead of going to zzzzz happily earlier as I thought, I ended up watching Howard Stern's Private Parts movie, which I had rented earlier and was lying around. I expected some sort of B movie, R rated crap shoot, self promoting pedestal but you know what? I'm now a fan of his, the movie was hilarious and this guy is a really really good DJ, underneath that facade. Now those of you in Asia have never heard of him, probably cos the movie got banned, neither did I, until one time many moons ago when I still had thick hair (this movie was made in 1997), I was flipping through my favourite MAD magazine and there they had a satire of this movie. For some reason i never forgot about it (prob cos it looked like a X rated crap shoot), it stuck at the back of mind and when I saw it at the movie rental I grabbed it. I gotta tell ya, this guy is really something. Image hosting by Photobucket

Now Howard here is a national radio DJ, something like the radio version of David Letterman (he was on the movie as well, as was Ozzie Osbourne albeit in a cameo) and I believe is still, the number one D jockey in the US. Anyways (I got lots of time here since I'm awake), big difference is that Howard would have been right at home in our Lin Dynasty Saga. His show is so hamsup, controversial, so sexed up, so unconventional ...I'm searching for a word here... shocking(?), he had strippers in his show, he got a girl to orgasm at home on his show (on a hifi speaker!! wish I could do that! girls don't try this at home, boy was that scene funny, so after the show I'm more awake! darn).

But, but at the end of it all, its all showbiz (yeah like wrestling). He could just have about any girl he wanted, but there's a Real Love Story here *sniff, grabs some tissue* he stuck through thick and thin with his college sweetheart, who also stuck through thick and thin with him, despite his antics on the show (a bare-assed naked chick in your office and your wife wouldn't be jealous?), got married, stayed married (that was 1997, now errrr not sure, check back for updates), now has got 3 kids and contrary to his persona, doesn't screw around.

So the latest news is that Howard is going satellite, so it means I'm getting satelite radio! gotta catch his gig....






Comments:
I get you. That is why, I made it a point to subscribe MTV and Channel V on my Astro. Just to know which are the in-group/singers... (not that I can remember) There are too many one hit wonders. :-P

I can't stand those Bad-gangsta black rappers! OMG!! It's actually cool nowadays to be bad and rude?? Worse still are those 'bad-rappers' wannabes flooding the Asian chart. PLLLLeeeez lar... banana not enuff, must imitate black gangster summore! Yuck!!

I love the Carpenters too. I still have their cassette tapes.... lol Talking about good voice, I think Christina Aguilera is good. (Forgive her dress sense.....) I think her vocal is good... I love her singing Beautiful.
 
*looks at JoMel's Billboard pics*...

FF ~ You need to listen to Katie Melua properly lah.. Voice to swoon for, looks to faint over..
 
omg! I used to listen to the American Top 40 with Kasey Kasem on the Rediffusion from time to time as well...long, long time ago! :)

i agree...this is a lovely song!
 
just watched again the carpenters's movie about 2 weeks ago. So sad that Karen died because of anorexia...
 
jomel, waaahaa then you better hide your phone no from me!(i feel safer now) haha I better gongxi back your fei mui, errr but I think now she will run away and hide!

helen, where I am no have MTV, sob, hey a hip hop gang won an oscar! hey today's baddd rapsters is the modern verion of *(but still catch no ball)... The Fonz! remember him? last time bad biker boy/chick a la James Dean...oso in wat... :P christina aguilera eh? ok need to check her out...*busy compiling HMV shopping list*

lb, ok ok I'm getting katie melua,*now on shopping list* :P tell you more after I hear her whole album

consuela, really nice, I loved the arrangement eh :D

selba, yar lor so sad *sniff sniff*
 
check out Hayley Westenra. abit like Charlotte Church, only better. A kiwi :) there's also anna nalick and leonna naess to consider. oh yea... and rachael yamagata... smooth!

*"close to you" playing in my mind*
 
May, more to check out yippee....
 
Whatever happened to the sex pistols? I used to smuggle their records into the country and played them at parties. *sigh* The good old days...
 
Wah, you also know about the 'lei tai sor' serials?? Remember my mum listening to the story telling every night on the rediffusion. Didn't understanding nothing at that age though. Talking about it makes me miss my mum more. :(
 
jo mel - Nope.. I've not heard "A song within"... but, I'll definitely check it out. Me, being the cheapskate will probably waste hours searching for free MP3 downloads! LOL
 
SA, wah you big time confederate ah!

Cocka, i oso dunno wat happen to them, maybe no more ammo :P

Bkworm, wohoo, those were the days eh

Helen, why u so cheapskate wan? :D
 
caught howard stern in the cinema a couple of years back. he was real big time hamsup. this is the guy who invented radio sex way way b4 cybersex come into our consiousness.

david letterman was nothing close.
 
SF, dang but you gotta admire the guy for what he achieved, somemore he tok only neva do anything wan
 
you know, at that time when it was showing in sg, some kiasu kiasi public was writing to st forum complaining abt vulgarity in the show. i quickly went to catch it b4 the censor relent. lucky good sense prevailed and the movie was allowed to run its course.

it was like nothing i had seen b4.
 
yeah actually this guy not so vulger, chris rock and some of the other stand up comedians are way worse....
 
the carpenters r really legendary.....i listened to them since young, too!
 
keatix, let their music sing on
 
jomel, alamak i dunno leh... sigh
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?