Sunday, April 23, 2006

Adventures of Dough Boy

Image hosting by Photobucket

Whilst strolling about in ole SG, I spied this shop and my mouth started to water. Not quite as good as Selera's Curry Puff next to the old Rex cinema but good enough! Now I'm pretty very selective about curry puffs and usually patronise only that one bestest Selera curry puff but being short on time and place had settled for the next best thing.

So while over here, I had completely forgotten about these little critters, reading LB and
May's blogs on their pies and also partially being egged on by their infectious enthusiasm, so the challenge is on, to make a curry puff!

Starting as usually by googling for the recipe, came across lots, like this one:

Ingredients:
454g minced beef or chicken
2 Tbsp Madras Curry Paste
1 cup water
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
1 green chilli (sliced) (optional)
1 large or 2 medium potatoes (small dice)
1 packet (2 blocks) short crust pastry
1 stick cinnamon
5 cloves
3 cardamoms
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Method:
Heat oil in a pan or wok and drop cinnamon, cloves and cardamom into the hot oil.
Add chopped onion and sauté until onion starts to caramelise.
Then add curry paste and sauté for 5 minutes, adding water a tablespoon at a time to stop paste from sticking.
Add minced beef or chicken and continue to stir until meat is sealed.
Add water, cover and cook curry over medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir from time to time and keep adding water ½ cupful at a time if curry is too dry.
When meat is half cooked add diced potatoes and green chilli and stir well. Cover and continue cooking for further 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Season to taste.
The consistency of curry should be tacky but not dry. If it not, turn up heat and cook with lid off until extra water has evaporated.
Skim off oil and allow curry to cool.
Roll out pastry on a floured surface and cut rounds.
Fill pastry with spoonful of curry mixture, run water round half, fold over and seal. Crimp pastry with a fork or fingers.
Place curry puffs on a floured tray.
Cook in a medium oven for approximately 20 minutes until cooked.

One website that said it was easy to prepare. So how hard can it get? I wondered, lets see how it goes.....

So early sunday morning I drove over to Banff to get the ingredients. I being the short cut guy, only got the potatoes, onions, used carrots instead, Thai red crushed chillies (spicy!), chicken breast and then came the kicker. I couldn't find any ready made dough!!! (warning warning) Hmmmm so I got me something called phyllo dough sheets and a pie pastry dough, i wasn't quite sure if the they were the same, get home then will find out.

Now the first headache. What I thought would be the easiest turned out the hardest. As it turned out, the phyllo dough are very thin, wanton skin thick, sheets of dough and then the pie ones were thicker but came complete lining a pie tray. Hmmmmm.... errr....use both, I figured.

Like MacGyver improvising, I used several sheets of the phyllo dough, layering them like a kueh lapis cake to get the necessary thickness,had to use water and oil to get them to stick together since their consistency was more like wanton skin. Quite a bit of work. But the combined layers looked....funny! Although this will be excellent for making Prata as I accidently discovered... got a lot leftover.

Then for the pie dough, I popped them out of their trays and were easier to work with, flattening them was easy.

Comment: Please note that I have NEVER in my life worked with dough, (ok ok a looonnnggg time ago when I was still a little kid, I helped out in the kitchen with a cookie cutter) so I had no idea how to work with dough prior to this ....

Meanwhile, after that, I got the filling ingredients diced and sliced. Btw that curry powder is really good.
Image hosting by Photobucket

As per recipe, cooked the filling, which I must say turned out pretty good, but lots of work!!!!! non stop stirring and turning over to get that desired consistency, although next time I'm going to cook the chicken first then shred it, rather than shred before cooking.... hummppff
Image hosting by Photobucket

And then the second headache started. Since the phyllo dough was layered, trying to close them up resulted in something that looked more like a wonton than a curry puff. So the net pre-cooking result was that I ended up with a rectangular curry wonton !! sorry no pics, tooooooo ugly... besides my hands all covered in dough and oil....

The pie dough one was easier to put together, popped them out of their trays, kneaded and somehow made something resembling a puff, sorta. Pardon my amatuerish attempt....
Image hosting by Photobucket


Finally I managed to put everthing together, started the heating the oil in the pot (no deep fryer!!), since I prefer mine fried instead of baked. Put one of the pie doughed puffs in and it's skin disintegrated!!! Aiyoh....


Hmmmmm..... dough must have been designed for baking I figured so did a quick about turn, heated up the oven and then chucked the whole lot in it, using the now empty pie trays (at least got some use for them) and this was the end result. Curry Puffs Mark I Prototype
Image hosting by Photobucket

To my surprise, the phyllo doughed wonton looking ones, turned out the nicest looking and the pie dough ones looked like some kind of cookie turnover. The phyllo ones also tasted the best of the lot, maybe cos the skin was crunchy.

I need to work on this more!!! Although I had a good laugh along the way. Looks like I will have to make my own dough next time, time to get that rolling pin.

PS: I am gonna kotok that website recipe writer who said it was quick and easy to make, dough fun aside, the filling was some work!

Ahhh the joys of trying something for the very first time. Wait for Curry puffs Mark I


Comments:
OH NO!! **close eyes** see no evil, smell no evil, taste no evil!!

What is this conspiracy going on between u, lb and May??? Grrrr Grrrrr

It is never easy to shape a curry puff. That is why, they have this curry puff mould. Proffessional result everytime. Next time will get you one!! lol
 
Helen!!!!!!!
why you never say so earlier!!!!
curry puff mould!!! hmmm I think can make my own or send me one!!!
LOL
 
waaaaa!!! waaaaaaaa!!!

ok ok, I want that one that has the puff pastry. the other two certainly does look like some sort of cookie. LOL! eh, but like we always say, as long as it tastes good, it's bloody superb! ;)

what's next, what's next? *droooools*!
 
huh? that's curry puff? it looks pretty weird though.. how do they taste? Looking forward to the next Curry puffs Mark 1.. :)
 
Finally, you made your own curry puff!!! good job :)
 
WAKAKAKAKAKAKA!!!!! You should have heard me laughing away like a hyena (May did, on Skype) on your funny post!!! I just could not stop laughing.. It was like a Carry On movie!!! OMG!! So hilarious!! I meant all that in a nice way, ok? :-) *tears streaming out* Wanton Puffs!!! Ok, Ok, we must make too!!!! Waaaa, but what's this curry puff mould?!!! WAAAAAAAKAKAKAKA..... I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time! Great job.
 
hey, i'll give you full marks for the efforts. i dun think i can go as far as you...but the top one looked nice....

will be waiting for the 2nd attempt results...
 
may,
hmmmmm haven't made Singapore Fried Carrot Cake yet *grins* but need more kar chang for that one..

Erika,
hey welcome to my blog, hehe thats a Wonton Curry Puff (top) and a Curry Puff Crumble (bottoms) :P
wait for the Mark I's promise you loads better!!

Selba,
Amazing what survival makes you do ....

L B,
wakaakaa you shouda seen me wrestling with the dough LOL hmmm wonder if my cam smart enough to do stop motion pics haahaa

Leonard,
Mark I coming soon... once I drive to Banff, damn why that town must be so far away....
 
wah, can start your own franchise once you perfected the recipe. LOL
 
Wakaka...! The Helen Conspiracy grows (pun not intended)....
*runs away remembering what happened on another blog*
I think SeeFei could be right: Old FantasyFlier has a certain ring to it. =)
 
I almost fell off my chair laughing at the "Mark I Prototype Curry Puff."

For once I didn't feel hungry. Muahahaha!!!
Sorry Flyboy. No offence, but I do find it rather comical.
 
Chanced upon your blog - hope it's cool to visit. But if you ever come down to Vancouver, send me an email and I'll give you instructions on where to go for some very good curry puffs.
 
Kudos for the effort :)*clap,clap,clap*
 
See Fei,
Another business idea! I came across one for water skiing just now sshhhh dont tell anyone yet...

plink,
aiyoh me no need to run away from, me very nice nice..
Hmmm Ole Fantasyflier better go register the name quick!

Simple American,
Eh got food science wan meh? like using test tube to measure how much water to use eh? me use Mark II eyeball (after laser so Mk II mah)don't like xploding test tubes LOL

Cocka Doodle,
Alamak you din fall off, I din try hard enuf!!!

Irene,
Ya ya I heard !! can can visiting u soon...

Bkworm,
Heh last time no chance for home econs! now playing catch up...LOL
 
ski deal makes me think of bombadier. hahaha if you can one up them, my ears (& some hard-earned saving) are all yours!!
 
See Fei,
hmmm bombarded skis.....interesting!

Simple American,
LOL the experiments any good? did you managed to make any eat all you want and grow slim experiments?

JoMel,
Awww... *blushing, face very red *
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?