Friday, April 28, 2006

A Bike and A Kampung in Janda Baik

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Whilst at Banff on sunday, the video shop finally got this dvd tv series - Long Way Round off the one day rental shelf and onto to the one week one.

It features Ewan Macgregor aka Obiwan Kenobi and his riding buddy, Charlie Boorman and a pair of very sexy BMWs. Basically, Ewan had this idea of riding around the world, from london thru europe, the ukraine, khazakstan, russia, mongolia, alaska, canada and the us. So I grabbed both dvds for all the episodes and I just sat through 3hours of the first one.

I am soooo sad. Not sad for the series.

Sad for me. I can't do anything like that for now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My old Goldwing, do I miss her....

It brought back so many memories I had of biking. It was deja vu watching them prep for the trip. It really mirrored what we did, I guess its the same all over th world. One interesting bit was the hostile environment training they went thru, don't have anything like that in SG then but did have lots of malaysian relatives and friends giving advice on how to outrun or stop (depending on who you listening to) someone in a car trying to outrun you and to rob and pointing a shotgun at you in the far reaches of West Malaysia or Southern Thailand, but that was in the '80s, but personally I never came across anything like that, but southern thailand really like a cowboy town then. Watching them get seriously prepped for medical emergencies also reminded me of the time my group did something similar. When out in the middle of nowhere, better know some emergency first aid.

As the show progressed, watching them stopping at places in khazakstan sooooo alike malaysian road kopi stalls, complete with resting lorries, having people crowd around you, not to see you but your bikes. in those days, having a 1000cc bike was more rare in malaysia than a ferrari. Photobucket - Video and Image Hostinghaving a goldwing was as good as driving a rolls. the show really brought back memories, those were fun days. malaysia and thailand has since gotten really developed. so much so, no need maps anymore nowadays (except KL tobalek!) read road signs good enough and can't get lost! Damn, I miss those days. Before the North South highway opened, it was fun overtaking cars easily with a twist of the wrist on the old trunk roads, in a car I did a lot more praying that I could overtake. The cows at the roadside were also more worrisome than another oncoming overtaking car. Then along came the highway and before the polis figured out they can make money with speedtraps, there was the occasional blast in the upper 200kmh zone.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting My motor cycling days is now on the back burner whilst I sort out my status here, to move or not, time needed to save up more $$$ and do I actually qualify for credit now? But one day soon, I'll be back to my biking days...now let me find a job and pray it will allow me to pay for a bike and give me enough time to actually go riding!!!! Gotta be patient


and then......

filler post

This morning, right in the middle of work, this song suddenly popped into my mind.
Something I haven’t remembered in a while, but was first heard whilst on a training course at Kampung Janda Baik somewhere near Genting Highlands. That was a really nice time there, cool weather, a beautiful location, a small kampung compound, dormitories and a small river running through it. Learned some things those few days, I can memorise stuff if I wanted to and surprised myself and everyone else that I came in 2nd in a 4km run/walk race (huh training course got running meh?) which to this day I still haven’t a clue how I did it, since running fast is NOT my strong point. There will be trying times ahead, somehow things come back to remind you of what is possible.

But it was fun those few days in Janda Baik, strangers getting together, leaving as friends.

If We Hold On Together
Diana Ross

Don't lose your way
With each passing day
You've come so far
Don't throw it away
Live believing
Dreams are for weaving
Wonders are waiting to start
Live your story
Faith, hope & glory
Hold to the truth in your heart

If we hold on together
I know our dreams will never die
Dreams see us through to forever
Where clouds roll by
For you and I

Souls in the wind
Must learn how to bend
Seek out a star
Hold on to the end
Valley, mountain
There is a fountain
Washes our tears all away
Words are swaying
Someone is praying
Please let us come home to stay

If we hold on together
I know our dreams will never die
Dreams see us through to forever
Where clouds roll by
For you and I

When we are out there in the dark
We'll dream about the sun
In the dark we'll feel the light
Warm our hearts, everyone

If we hold on together
I know our dreams will never die
Dreams see us through to forever
As high as souls can fly
The clouds roll by
For you and I


This is just really a filler post, pay no attention to it ... this is a beautiful song though

POSTSCRIPT
Just watched episode 5 watching them go through Mongolia, so beautful, so desolate


Comments:
Hmm? Since we're on filler posts, I'll do a filler comment ~ Changed your template again?......
Ok, I'll change/update my Q U I C K I E S too..
Ch-ch-ch-changes - David Bowie.
 
ooooooh, adventures of Karipap Boy! LOL!!!

when I saw those lyrics, I was immediately transported back to the cartoon, The Land Before Time. that's the theme song, yea? nice nice.. :)
 
lb,
Diamond medal! errr no more filler post liao, paiseh.... hehe

may,
Platinum!!! was the song in that movie? hmmm I never did watch that, need to go get it now! tmw I getting my rolling pin for the karipaps hahaa
 
Now you are karipap boy?? LOL Looking forward to your karipaps! (still can remember the pix of your scrumptious curry!)

Next time when you go riding around Malaysia, be very careful, ya? I remember reading about bike convoys involving in fatal accidents on the highway. Don't want anything to happen to our Fly...I mean, karipap boy!!
 
Woopsies!! Didn't realised you had already done a post on karipap..*face red-red*
Looks very good! I'm sure they tasted darn good too! Homemade pastry alwasy tastes the best, I say.
 
so fatt hao, you... change post wan!! LOL..
 
kat,
wahhaaa long time neva come visit eh... I make yummy yummy foods you missed! neva mind got part 2 coming soon to a blog very near you..

PS: I think bike convoys are the stupidest thing to do on a trip except for showing off in town :P

L B,
wwaaahaaaa....very the hao...LOL
 
when ya' motorcycling days are back again, please remember to ajak me, ya ya??

shall hold on to you, tight-tight...let the wind lead the way...

how abt that?? ;)
 
What happened to 'Flyboy'? Changed to karipap boy ah? What a transformation.LOL

I sense the next filler post would be the popular song from the 80s, "Take this job and shove" LOL
 
angel,
*scrambling to get the bike quick!!!*

Simple American,
Hey looking for a biking buddy?
Life's second chance is here.

Cocka Doodle,
See next post LOL
 
wonder why they called it the village of the good widow (kg janda baik)? a lot of gatal (horny) widow running ard?
 
cool and steady bike u had there...

with so many enjoyment riding, no wonder all these fond memories came back to you when you're watching the drama... ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?