Thursday, May 11, 2006

Deja Vu

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's here again, that all so necessary but so lengthy process.

Its job hunting time again!

Dang, I guess all that practice I've had in the recent past must somehow one day come in useful.

And as usual, its very very hard finding work, actively!!! Of course I could go to Safeway and ask but thats not the point... altho thats what's I'll probably end up with!

I do have a clear idea of where I'd like to be in but part of my headache is that I'm underqualified for management positions (lack of canadian experience, like I havent the faintest clue on what's the Canada Pension Plan for which every month my paycheck gets a deduction of, but ask me about CPF I can tell you almost everything, then again thats over the other side of the pond) and over qualified for lesser positions (too experienced, worked for too long (aka old) and over educated, maybe I should tell people I have primary 6). Even applications for management trainee positions draws up a blank. If these weren't issues I'd bet my piggy bank I'd be getting calls now. Besides am also competing with all this young fellas coming out of school. Oh well, gonna keep plugging away, Ole Colonel Sanders approached over 1000 companies before he found one willing to buy his recipe (and one that laughed all the way to the bank).

The What colour is your parachute book, very rightfully noted that the best way to get a job is through networking. Yeah right, don't know anyone here, living in a place that has more elk, bears and squirrels than people, its gonna be a challenge to network (already tried the online bit)

So another option of course is to move first, then network and get a job. I'd like to, but I'm still busy paying off my house in SG so some cash flow would be nice. Selling that is not quite an option now, cos still gotta pay the bank back if sell, cos I had the foresight to buy before the 1998 financial crisis! hah! Overall, maybe its cheaper to permanently rent than to buy...hmmm will do an analysis on that. Real estate agents will probably violently disagree.

So an interesting situation, I will in all probability move first then find a job.

And where am I headed to?

Vancouver!

Becos:
1) wider range of jobs available;
2) easier to find a place to rent (today's paper said not enuff places to rent in Calgary! but its true, just check out Craigslist so if u have some extra dough, wanna buy a place here for investment and have someone keep and eye on it, you know who to call :P) ;
3) the sea is to the west and the mountains to the east and the very close US is to the south. North too many Grizzlies and Cougars lurking....
4) more chinese eating and shopping places!
5) the weather is milder, not so topsy turvy as here nor as cold, but it rains helluva lot...

and the circle turning round and round..... like Windmills of my Mind... wish i had that song...

So like a rabbit, I'm still scampering and hopping around...isn't he cute?




Amazing how companies recruit.

Comments:
windmills of my mind? I have that version by Sting! you want? :-)

hmm, change of direction from Calgary to Vancouver, huh? wherever the opportunity -- and money -- is, my friend. and as long as you're happy!
 
As long as you're close enough to a Chinese community, you can't get too far wrong. I've seen the sweat shops.. the coolies, the railroads, the pimps... and Kung Fu Hustle..
 
Rabbit.. jump.. jump.. jump... to the right direction, ok :)
 
Go, flyboy, go!! Need more egging?? The more arrows you shoot, the higher the chances of hitting the mark!! * a bit lame, I know, but eat too full already, brain kinda slow now!!* Angel..yoohoo..some help here!!
 
Hey! Helloooo...

Sorry I haven't been blogging - busy with work and trying to meet deadline lah! Have cleared work liao, and I was happy to get your note. Thanks! :o)

Your decision to move is sure a brave one - to move from Singapore to Canada in the first place is already scary. So yeah, sounds like you have made the right decision...

BTW, don't worry about the job till you get to Vancouver. You were right to settle there first, then find. Besides, good things come to those who wait - am sure the rest of the people agree! ;o)

Keep your chin up, FF.
 
I really love ur honesty. :-) I sincerely wish u all the best. **psst, i sent u the package liao**

lb - pimps?? How can u say that to flyboy??
He's more giggolo material! :-P
 
Good luck on your job search. I'm sure you will have some advantage compared to those newly graduates, at least some exposure to work environment, no matter how unrelated it is.. Add oil!
 
Yo yo! angel's hereeee!!!

...hmmm...how to lay more eggs, ha?

*gets ready the pompoms*

Gimme an F!
Gimme an L!
Gimme a Y!
Gimme a B!
Gimme an O!
Gimme a Y!

Go go go F L Y B O Y!
Fly to the sky!


Higher step it up, higher just do it right and go
Higher keep it up, higher just pick it up and you go
Higher move along, higher get off the ground
Higher lift it up, higher


me love this song! u likey?

ps: i couldn't agree more with hoppily happy...waaa, so happy... good things come to those who wait... here i am, still waiting... ;)
 
May,
Wan wan!! Email pleeeeaaassseeeee :D
Errr money? I think Cal better, but Vanc less boring, Lake Louise is a small village in the middle of nowhere, Calgary is a city in the middle of nowhere LOL

L B,
Hmmmm sweatshops, pimping, u just gave me a biz idea :P


Selba,
Rabbits are smarter, they look first then they jump…

ka..t,
Hahahaa, I already spam so many recruiting ads I think I need to change my email addy already…. What my enrolment target eh :P ….

Hoppily Happy,
Dun work so hard, spend more time pak tor-ing…hehe … :P
Tired of waiting, I wanna be like Jomel……:D
* quickly scampers away *

Helen,
Wah wah can’t wait!!!! Errr hope it gets here before I go!
Wat gigolo material, like Deuce Bigalow? LOL

Erika,
* flyboy go gets a 50 gallon drum of oil *

angel,
first you find a boy chick, after copulating for awhile, squat and hope something pops out * grin *

Hey this song the one by Gerri Halliwell? She got something similar….
 
Hey..FF,
I am assuming that you are already a PR in Canada ..??
There is unemployment to draw.. while you are looking for a job.. or you can even see the HR ppl in your area.. for assistant to upgrade in your local college. The canadian government gives out money.. like nobody's business . .when it comes to upgrading.
The CPP you put in every month or week.. you cannot touch that.. i donch think.
But if you cannot find a suitable job.. be like the canadians.. and get UI and welfare.. they even provide welfare housing if necessary.
And if you left your job .. with cause .. lagi better.. more money.
If you got kids.. better still also.. more money from the government.
Work the system.. like all canadians do over here.. hahahha!!
 
Best of luck!

*brings on the LightHouse Family*
Lifted! (yeah)
Lifted! (yeah)
Lifte...d, flyboy flies forever
We could be lifted (yeah)
From the shadow (yeah)
Lifte...d....

Go FantasyFlier!

*gets on telephone*
Harlowe? Ya, plink here. Petronas ar? Can send extra oil to give my friend or not? Yes, gautim: LB belanja wan....

=)
 
LOL @ da'plink!

*cubit plink's cheek*

"u so kiut lar, plink-plink!" *muah muah*

~~~~~

Flyboy, the song Higher is by Ms. Gloria Estefan ;) Not sure if Gerri sings the same one tho...

ps: Wot's copulating? Can teach how to do it? *innocent look*
 
mama bok,
wah! damn good idea, see how canadian yet? nada.... ok will go check out the EI!
errr u canadian ah?

plink,
tq tq *waiting for oil*

angel,
*hmmm...whispers into angel's ear*

wor that one by gloria, i think I have, *goes see*
 
start of another chapter...a good beginning. good luck FF!
 
Red leader one, red leader one!
request permission to change course to west, heading to Vancouver.....land of plenty.

Roger. Out
 
**cocka gawking at all that pom-pom from angel and plink......the bouncing boobies, the ultra short skirts, high kicks and splits**

**Rush off to take cold shower**
 
I'm glad you made the decision to Vancouver. Somehow, that seems more right than Calgary. Maybe for the silly reason that my bro didn't quite make it in Cal but my good friend made it well in Van. Regardless, here's wishing you more courage and many many job ops.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?