Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Aifix

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When I was a kid, I used to build a lot of plastic model kits, then commonly known as Airfix, because the main brand then is what else? The Airfix Brand. There were also lots of other brands such as Tamiya, Hasegawa, Matchbox, AMT to name a few. But the challenge of putting a kit together to make it look as real as possible was rather fun. I built loads of them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I used to build a lot of aircraft such as this Supermarine Spitfire. I was pretty nifty with glues, putty and paints and brushes. I specialized in WW2 aircraft, ships and tanks. Jets somehow just didn’t appeal me to me. I found the old warbirds had a element of grace and old world charm about them.

Coming over here its been like being in a candy store. I’ve had the opportunity to visit lots of museums and see the actual aircraft and parts up close, touch them and just plain ogle. Things that I used to build and imagine what they might have been like are now standing in front of me. It’s like a dream come true.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A Supermarine Seafire

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A top turret from a B17 and the Rear Turret of a Lancaster. Gawd, the real thing, how I spent countless hours trying to get the details right then. If only I could see then what I see now.

Earth Wind and Fire was rather hot then too.

Comments:
Airfix!! my brother was very good at that. built the entire QEII cruise ship, and a few planes. sadly all destroyed by my other brother in one of those sibling fights... *shrugs* what a waste...
 
I spent all my pocket money on airfix that time too.
 
Yep! My favorite toys too, Airfix! I liked the both the WW1 bi-planes, WW2 fighters & bombers, tanks etc.
I even bought their dioramas (is that what they are called?)
Spent too much on them back then.
 
I wonder if airfix does blow-up dolls these days...
 
may, those where the times eh

L B, wah u oso build

Cocka Doodle, wah another builder

L B, got go here *grin*(http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/feature/2005/10/11/real_dolls/index.html

Simple American, wah another club member
 
i quickly attracted to tamiya (from airfix) when the brand came into the market in the 70s in ipoh. tamiya was more exciting with its mag, diorama and wider selection of models.

the one model i coveted then was the mustang p51 24th scale. it was more than rm100 at that time.

i think tamiya is still around but not sure about airfix. i got no money to buy then. the only one i managed to fix up was a russian t-tank and one flying tiger typhoon. both were presents from relatives.
 
I want one REAL DOLL!!!!!!! Maybe two, later on...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?