Thursday, December 21, 2006

Winter now starts...

Today is the shortest day of the year, here in Calgary we will get less than 8 hrs of daylight. Meaning at 4pm the sky is already dark. Today also is the winter equinox which officially marks the start of winter. The good news is that starting tomorrow, the days can only get longer!

The weather channel here is my idea of watching tv... geek speaking here. Its rather fascinating watching all the different weather systems coming in, going here there, but importantly what we will be getting here. Every morning without fail, I will check the day's weather before going out as it will determine what I'll be wearing, something thin and flimsy (which all the girls seem to wear no matter how cold it is, hmmm come to think of it, if I were to wear a skirt out I will also become a girl..no wonder...ahhhh mystery solved) or do I need to pack ice cleats. I've seen all sorts of weather here, however there is one thing I haven't seen yet and that is freezing rain. Apparently it rains, but when the water hits the ground it freezes up, that will be something to see. Another thing that is rather apparent is the Calgary appears to be rather blessed. The Rockies to the west blocks a lot of the low pressure systems coming in from the Pacific. The winds and rain and snow ALWAYS comes from the west.. don't aske me why, havent found out yet, maybe because of the earth's direction of rotation? Vancouver recently has been hammered by tons of snow, rain and winds that up rooted many trees but thanks to the Rockies we've been spared all that. Rather fascinating to see the computer images of a a system move in and cover British Columbia and get stopped dead in its tracks before reaching Calgary by the rockies. It also explains why there are so few trees here and is mostly grassland, its like a North American Serengeti. I was told most of the trees in Calgary are transplanted here...but i like lots of trees... dang...

Gonna be spending my christmas at my old hunting ground of lake louise. Gonna do some snow shoeing, skiing and maybe chase a squirrel or two, kinda miss those beggers buggers...


HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY HOLIDAY EVERYONE!

Comments:
Happy Dong Zhi!
Sounds brrrrrr!!

Merry Christmas!
 
Merry X'mas....and enjoy the cold of winter..


grrr....i'm feeling cold in the office now..wonder how am i gg to survive there at ur side!!

O here's one tang yuan for u!
 
Gawd... and over here I complain that it gets dark at 6pm!! Didn't expect it to get so chilly this year, didn't bring enough warm clothes, so AD has given me a Christmas gift... the Christmas bug!!

Have a merry, wintry Christmas FF!

* B I G W A R M B K T H U G G I E S *
 
Merry Christmas 2006 & Happy New Year 2007, FF!

Please send my regards & hugs to those buggers ;)
 
Flyboy..Wishing you a Very Merry 'Freezing til your bollocks off' Christmas!
 
..and when they drop off, I wish someone will be there for you to pick them up and sew them properly on again!
MERRY VERY CHRISTMAS, FF!! To the squirrels too!
 
Here's wishing you a very Merry wintry Christmas!!
 
Dear Flyboy, have a heartwarming Christmas wherever you are. Lots of love from me and the girls here in KL.
 
Merry Christmas FF!
wish you a great 2007!
and thanks for the snow, it's way too hot in singapore. (though it's been pouring abit)
 
A blessed christmas to you and yours..FF..!
 
weather channel there? what's to see? it's cold today...or it's damn cold today...or it's freezing cold today...or it's so cold you may want to think twice about urinating in the open.
 
Good for you. Singapore can never experience a white Christmas since it doesn't snow here.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?